Wednesday, November 14, 2007

What a Difference 10 Minutes Makes

High Atop the Alumni Center
Dark, Cold, and Windy

I usually get out of the office by 10 after 5:00, but I got a late start today. So, instead of riding with my fellow staff and faculty members, I was tooling around in a sea of students who had just been released from their last class of the day. I remember those college days. My friends and I could be noisy, rude, and self absorbed, and today's crop of college kids were doing the same. As I passed the bus stop, I saw a scooter with three passengers crammed onto the small seat lumbering off the curb and pull into the lane behind me.

Then, I heard a horn begin to beep continuously, along with some vulgar shouting from the scooter team. This went on for half a minute or so before the scooter passed me while the passengers still screamed foul insults. I couldn't tell if they were yelling at the driver of the beeping car or me, so I assumed it was horn boy. However, the beeping continued.

I finally looked back, thinking that I had dropped my pannier. The SUV with the incessant horn was a couple of lengths behind me, but the driver didn't wave or make any other motion towards me when I gave the "what's up" hand signal. A few seconds after I turned back, the SUV passed me and I heard "(mumble mumble) THE ROAD (mumble mumble)" come from the side window.

So, apparently they were yelling at me. Oh well.

Just past the next light, a car pulled out of an alley on my right, and stopped blocking the lane waiting for a space to open in the oncoming traffic stream. No problem for me, as I was able to swerve around, but the cars behind me had to wait.

Another exhilarating ride.


Miles Ridden: 7.1 (estimated)

BTW, I forgot to mention yesterday that I passed the 2,000 mile mark for this year. That's already more than last year's total and my highest annual mileage ever. And I've still got six weeks to go!

1 Comments:

Blogger Revrunner said...

That's strange. I also was passed yesterday by a guy on a scooter on a stretch of road that I've never seen a scooter before.

Anyway, the road surface there was a little bumpy, so I couldn't get a very good look at the guy in my mirror. All I thought was that that was one fast cyclist! He kept coming up on me so quick that I picked up my own pace just so as not to look like a slacker. Then when he passed me I realized my mistake. Duh!

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home