Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Muppet Day

I know I've complained a lot about being passed unsafely on hills or curves, but I'm finding lately that I'm getting used to it.  Until this morning.  This person in a small, blue SUV passed me on a straight section, where he had a clear view of the oncoming car.  Mr. SUV gunned the engine, and the oncoming car had to bolt for the grassy shoulder while honking.  I just watched and waited for the SUV to jerk back to the right and knock me over.  Luckily, that didn't happen.

On the way home on River Road, I had another guy in a van pass while the oncoming car was a little too close for comfort, but no tragedy occured.  What cracked me up was the guy behind him who followed blindly behind the van, and then the third guy behind him.  Once again, we all came out unscathed.

Commuting is fun!

Miles Ridden: 10.1

4 Comments:

Blogger Fat Lad said...

This morning when riding the road bike to work a woman passed me too close for comfort.

At the next set of lights she had her window wound down so I leaned in:

"Excuse me love, but if you want to grab my arse can you use your hands and not your wing mirrors next time? Cheers"

Fat Lad

5:26 AM  
Blogger Apertome said...

I am extra paranoid about the scenario you describe, since that's more or less how my accident happened. Be careful out there, man.

I hope by not riding right on the edge, people will realize they don't have room to pass me, and won't try. It doesn't always work out that way, though. Another advantage, as I see it, to riding closer to the center of the lane is if someone DOES cut it close, you have a little room to maneuver.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's the 2nd and 3rd car that are the most dangerous. They're like whitetail deer. The lead deer pays some attention to what's on the road, but the ones following it don't pay attention to anything but the lead deer's butt.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Lazy Bike Commuter said...

That happens to me way more often than it should.

The other day I was going down a hill--35 in a 40 zone--and some genius in a BMW passed me, almost had a head on with an oncoming car, had to slam on his brakes to avoid the SUV in his own lane who was going slower than he wanted, and then made an immediate left turn onto a side street, about 15 seconds before I got there. People will do anything to believe they are saving time, won't they?

Of course, my all-time WTF for these people was when someone passed me at the apex of the hill where he had no visibility, almost hit a car, and the woman driving the ONCOMING car yelled at me. Sorry lady, I can't control the actions of morons.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home