Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Master of my Domain

Thanks to some help from Noah, I now have danonbike.us pointing to this blog on blogspot using the Blogger 'Custom Domain' feature (as described in this post).

To summarize, he suggested that I remove my A record from DNS, and then create a CNAME record that directs the domain to ghs.google.com, the site used for Google redirects. Important note: a period is required after the host name for everything to work.

I then redirected some of the subdomains to my Google Apps account. I moved my email to the apps platform (GMail with my domain), and it comes with Docs, Calendar, and other Google goodies.

Oh, and I setup a Feedburner feed to track stats from those of you accessing this with a reader. (No need to change your feed)

Fun geek time!

3 Comments:

Blogger Noah said...

Since you're an aspiring systems geek, I'll tell you why "danonbike.us." works.

DNS (BIND, mostly) sees domains as zones, and it pretty much blindly assumes that any hostname in that zone is going to have the domain added to it. So if the zone file is for danonbike.us and there's a line in there for "www" and another for "mail", it will assume you're talking about www.danonbike.us and mail.danonbike.us respectively.

If you put danonbike.us in there, it will think you're talking about danonbike.us.danonbike.us, which isn't right, now is it? Putting a period at the end is how you tell the DNS system that a line contains an FQDN (fully qualified domain name) as opposed to just the hostname.

For a really good, halfway human-comprehensible walk-through of BIND and DNS, I call your attention to Chapter 27, section 6 of the FreeBSD Handbook. The whole of chapter 27 is a good read for anyone getting deeper involved with Linux or UNIX servers in general. Sorry for the verbose comment, but I thought I'd share. ;)

12:30 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Apertome said...

I'm glad that Noah was able to help. Sounds like you're getting things figured out pretty well.

The FreeBSD handbook is a useful resource in general.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home