Thursday, November 01, 2007

Major Moves

Noah is breathing down my neck, having just posted his 500th, so I'd better get typing!

I thought this was going to be an uneventful commute today (although riding to a meeting mid-afternoon was fun), until I was almost home.

Major Move
No Idea What This Means

I was in the bike lane on US231S when I stopped to take the above picture. I was close to the point where the highway heads south, while River Road continues west. (I'm traveling west, which is right to left on the photo.) As you can see below, there is a little jog where I turn right and immediately left. At this time of day, everyone else is apparently doing the same thing.


As I neared the right turn to leave the highway, a car came up next to me and made the turn with me. Since my bike lane abruptly ends just past the turn, I had to slow rather suddenly to avoid bumping the passenger door. I was able to take the lane behind him, but three more cars came up right behind me. As my turn buddy began his left, the third guy back behind me decided he couldn't wait for all of us to turn, so he gunned it into the left lane and passed us all - much to the chagrin of the driver of the oncoming van. I flashed Mr. Impatient a thumbs up.

Not to be outdone, the muppet behind me revved up and passed as well - this time it was a sedan that had to dive for the shoulder. The last guy behind me waited until it was clear, but he had to excessively accelerate like the rest - just to show them that he wasn't a pansy.

What's weird is that as my wife talked with me on the phone before I left my office, she let loose this string of foul language mid sentence. Apparently, an oncoming driver had decided to pass a bike by swerving into her lane, and she let him know that she didn't approve.

Is it just West Lafayette, or do people do this everywhere?

Miles Ridden: 11.2 (estimated)

BTW, the new LED headlight I ordered from Bike Nashbar came in today. I'll try it out as soon as I get some batteries.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Stay on the damn sidewalk. You're just a hazard out there for everyone else.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

Thanks for the advice, World Champ Stephen Neal. We need more level headed, considerate people like you in the world.

11:22 PM  
Blogger The Historian said...

Hi Dan,

Drivers behave that way all over. It's not just a Hoosier phenomenon.

I passed 600 posts a couple of weeks ago, but then again, I am excessive.

Beware of folks who misspell the name "Neil" as "Neal."

Neil

7:29 AM  
Blogger steve said...

They don't do it in Halifax. Of course, that's only because there's only one bike lane in Halifax and it stops before and after each intersection...

8:39 AM  
Blogger Noah said...

It's everywhere around Kansass City.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home