Thursday, August 09, 2007

Shedding a Little Light on the Subject

I need to get a better headlight, as these early morning rides are getting more difficult. Today I couldn't really see the road surface, and I was surprised by potholes and cracks in the road. Maybe one of those LED jobs would be nice.

It was a little spooky this morning watching the distant lightning flash in the north. The weather site assured me that the storms were at least two counties away, but I still watched the sky pretty closely.

This is one of the few weeks of the year where campus is pretty empty. Next week, the freshmen (now called 'first years') and international students will arrive, and classes start on the 20th. That first day is a killer traffic day. Hopefully, I'll be able to ride past them all.

Miles Ridden: 10.1

4 Comments:

Blogger Noah said...

If you get an LED light, get a damn good one. Like DiNotte good. I love my Blackburn Quadrant LED light, but it's for grabbing drivers' attention (which it works well for), not for seeing what's ahead of me (which it fails miserably at).

If your night time needs are more like mine (I rarely have to ride more than 2 hours per day in darkness) then a less expensive (but still upwards of $100) option is a good halogen light. You can see a review of the one I use.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would suggest this light from Cygo-Lite. http://www.cygolite.com/2-Products/3-Hiflux100.htm It was $70, runs on 4 C size batteries for 25 hours and is super bright. I use mine for commuting and for back roads at night.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Apertome said...

I'm with Greg, I have the Cygo-Lite Hiflux 100 too, and it's pretty good (especially for the price -- look on pricepoint.com). I do think LEDs are better than Halogens, if you get a good one.

The Cygo-Lite may not be as good as the DiNotte stuff, but for half the price ... it's a good light at a good price. I've used mine both on and off road and it's pretty good.

I've also had good success with -- don't laugh -- an LED Mini Maglite attached to my helmet vents with velcro zip ties. It works very well.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I believe you've seen my helmet light, Dan. It supplements the handlebar light and lets me have a couple of things, from a little more directional light in corners to a light I can point AT motorists when I try for eye contact that isn't so bright it blinds them, but makes me very noticeable, especially on flash mode in twilight.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home