Sunday, July 22, 2007

Shake Out Ride

North Course
Celery Bog at the North Course

I took a quick ride to the drug store to pick up supplies for next week's ride, and I hung the panniers on the new rack with a 3 pound bag of grass seed in each side. It's not what my clothes and supplies will weigh, but it's something. The bike handled fine, but I felt slow, weak, and heavy. I probably should have been riding a little more these last two weeks.

Tomorrow I pack up the car and head west to Iowa.

Miles Ridden: 12.3

4 Comments:

Blogger Noah said...

Your speed and slowness was likely from lack of riding. I recently thought I'd try to shave time time off of my 28 mile round trip by ditching the panniers (about 15-20 pounds worth of stuff total) and just strapping about a pound and a half of rolled-up clothes onto my rear rack. It saved me no time on the way home, and 2-3 minutes on the way to work. Overall, I was only 2-3 percent faster without them than the day before with them, and I've been faster than that, even, with them.

In other words, it was a wash. My bike felt lighter and more nimble, but I wasn't any faster for the whole ordeal. I've since returned my panniers to full-time use. Being able to carry my laptop, a good sized lunch, a small first aid kit and a few extra tools is worth whatever minuscule hit I take in the efficiency department.

Good luck on your ride! Sounds like you're hitting part of RAGBRAI?

10:55 AM  
Blogger Apertome said...

I hope you have a great time at RAGBRAI. I'm looking forward to reading your account of it.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Enjoy RAGBRAI, Dan!

2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello, great blog! take a look at my new blog:

André Benjamim

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home