Sunday, October 15, 2006

Hiccups (or do you prefer hiccoughs?)

Despite the cool temps and windy conditions, I decided it was time to try out my new cold weather jersey and tights, so I headed west on Division Road.

The headwind was kind of strong, but I was temperature comfortable in my new cycling togs. I was getting a little tired, but I new there would be a nice tailwind on the return. It wasn't until I was near the top of Indian Creek Hill ('Alpe du Kerber' is painted on the asphalt), when I really felt the energy being sapped from my legs. And then, the hiccups started.

Route Marker

I've been susceptible to hiccups in the fall and winter for a long time. I think it has something to do with cold air in my lungs, and maybe fall and winter allergies. Regardless, once they start, it takes a long time for them to stop.

I ended up walking up the last 200 feet of the hill trying to catch my breath while barking like a croup afflicted retriever. After waiting at the top for several minutes for them to stop, I decided to continue west hoping I would eventually get back to normal breathing. I didn't.

At the county line, I turned back and had a nice ride with the wind. Pedaling in the tops gears was nearly effortless, and I made it back home in record time.

The hiccups didn't stop for five more hours.

Miles Ridden: 15.4

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Don't laugh, but hiccups are caused by a chamical imbalance, either toward the base or acid, either way! Next time it happens, try first, a bit of salt to shift the balance toward base (alkaline), and if that doesn't work, try some lemon or OJ! That will shift the body chemisytry toward the acidic side. One or the other should work!

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home