Thursday, July 13, 2006

On The Road Again

(Another song title for a post? It's unheard of! It's unimaginable. It's unnecessary!)

I got a call Sunday afternoon asking if I would fill in for an ill co-worker at a three day conference. So I was out of town once more - which means no bike rides. If I had driven myself, I could have put the bike in the trunk of the Purdue car (as I will next month for my trip to Columbus). However, I was riding with the SrVP this time.

My travels took me to East Lansing, MI - Home of Michigan State University. I was only able to see a few showcase buildings (the Breslin Center, the new suites on the side of the football stadium, the Weldon Center for the Performing Arts, and the Harrison Roadhouse), but what I saw was impressive. What I didn't see was any bike riders.

Discarded bike in the river
In the Red Cedar River

The dorms all looked empty, and even the bike racks were barren. I did see a few bike lanes and a trail along the river, but they were idle.

Bikes Only - Bike Lane Marker

On the way back, we stopped in Saugatuck for lunch. This is a small lakeshore town, and despite the crowded streets and sidewalks, I saw several cyclists even on a sleepy Wednesday.

Comfort Bikes for Rent

It looks like the next few days will be great for riding, so I should be out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steeker said...

Sad to see the bike in the water :( how did those new blinky lights work out ?

4:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Dan, enjoy Michigan! (Unless you're back and if so I hope you enjoyed Michigan!

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home