Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Is That Guy Talking To Us?

It was wet and a little rainy this morning, but I came home from work to beautiful weather - 70s, light SW wind, sunny. I hopped on the bike and rode the Granville Bridge Route plus a little bit south on 700W to the Granville Historical Marker at 75S.

However, something weird happened. I think I must be mute, because I said 'hello', 'how's it going', or 'hey' to at least 15 other bike riders, and not one said anything back. Most just looked at me like I was an idiot. (I'll give a pass to the guy wearing the iPod.) So, they must have just seen my mouth moving with no sound coming out.

I also gave a slight wave to most of them, and only one acknowledged the gesture.

Miles Ridden: 9.8

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing that I generally notice when out riding around, is that cyclists only generally aknowledge other like cyclists.

It is odd that way. It is rarer than rare for some super 50 fifty year old guy on a $5,000 dollar bike to say "Hi!!". They just zip on by.

Likewise, I guess I don't really see any messenger kids out riding around in the country side, nor do I expect that they'll chat me up.

Loaded touring freaks, yep, chat chat chat unless we're on the wrong side of a busy road on a hill from each other.

That's how it often is. Odd. Sad. Odd.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Daniel Satele said...

I'm usually too winded to perform the cognitive processes to form words and speak them.

If by some miracle my brain does send the signal to acknowledge someone else, it is usually in the form of a head nod. Anything more involved than that and I'll fall off my bike.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home