Sunday, July 03, 2005

Great Sunday!

The weather couldn't have been better, and my mood was up before I started. This was going to be a great ride!

I started by driving the van up to my wife's place of employment at Salisbury and Cumberland where she had just finished the night shift. After talking with her for a few minutes, I headed west on Cumberland to the Cattail Trail near Wal-Mart. I took the trail north and west to Morehouse Road next to the Wild Bird Shop. From there I headed north on Morehouse. I passed a lady picking raspberries on the side of the road and said hi. She said "What are you doing up here?" Turns out she was a co-worker. We chatted for a few minutes.

[White House on Morehouse]
This house has been a fixer-upper at least since the 80s.

At 600N I turned east. This area is full of high-end subdivisions. Big houses on big lots - way out of my league. I passed Harrison High school and continued on to 75E. This was a nice quiet road with old farmhouses and a shady tree canopy. At 500N, I came upon a large mowed area with many tall trees - pretty regal looking.

[Old Brick Building on 500N]
I don't know if this was a school, a grange, or something else.

75E hits Soldiers Home Road which I took south to the Indiana Veterans Home. I rode through the compound looking at the buildings. I had forgotten that the old Commandant's Home had been turned into a Bed and Breakfast a few years ago. I didn't see any guest cars there.

At the front of the site facing SR43 and the Wabash River, an access road snakes its way down the bluff. This driveway with two switchbacks is the closest thing Tippecanoe County has to an Alp. I coasted down and rode back up.

[Indiana Veterans Home Driveay]

I returned to Soldiers Home Road and took to south to Cumberland Ave, and then went west to Salisbury (my starting point). From there, I sped down Salisbury to Lindberg Road, and west to Northwestern Ave. I enjoy sailing down the hill on Northwestern past the big houses and the go cart track. Usually, there is too much traffic, but not early on Sunday in a holiday weekend. I pedaled all the way to State Street, and turned west through campus. With a right on Newman Road, I was soon back to Division Road and home.

Miles Ridden: 22.0 (I circled once through the cul-de-sac until it flipped over)
Total This Year: 104 + TBD

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home