Sunday, May 13, 2007

Highland Park Bridge

I don't really know if this bridge is named the Highland Park Bridge, or if it even has a name at all, but it is located in the historic Highland Park subdivision in Lafayette, IN. It crosses over a creek bed and is hidden between houses. Unless one is looking for it, it is easy to pass by and never notice it.

I'm thinking that maybe a former co-worker who lives nearby first told me about the bridge, and it's been 7 or 8 years since I last visited. With their new high-res satellite photos, we can see it on Google Maps:

Click to View in Google Maps

For some reason, I was feeling nervous about taking a movie on what may be private property, so I went to the Tippecanoe County GIS site to view the property boundaries. Looks like we're OK (although it's unclear if anyone owns it).



Here's the video of my crossing:


Miles Ridden: 19.0

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dan,

The bridge is, rather appropriately based on your adventure, the Bicycle Bridge. I believe it dates back to the 20's or 30's. I grew up in Highland Park and have lots of fond memories of the bridge. I heard it was closed down (temporarily) in the fall of 2007 for some upgrades.

Mike McCully

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

The Bicycle Bridge runs next to the house I grew up in. I also have fond memories of the bridge and miss living in Highland Park a lot. What a wonderful place to grow up!

2:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in Highland Park and miss it. I remember a mean girl tossing my Sting Ray bike over it and breaking the windshield (yes, I had one on my bike). Great memories (dispite the bike thing). I also remember a dump on at the end that we used to go through - I got the best hats there.
P.

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home